Monday, January 26, 2015

Council of Wisdom

The talk at church yesterday challenged us to think of people who have been/are role models for us. What do we learn from these souls who live from an enlightened or positive place? I don't mean just the great teachers of modern religions or famous authors or people from history--I think of the "common people" from my everyday life who provide me with inspiration in the way they approach life. 

They stay involved in life--helping other people, trying new things, staying interested in the world around them, and being active. They continue to challenge themselves to become better people by examining their attitudes, their automatic responses, their "sharp points" and hot buttons. They dialog with others to test their philosophies and ideas. They face growing older with grace, with courage, and with a knowledge that our time here is precious and limited. They also know how to laugh at themselves and at the world, knowing this too shall pass.

I was surprised at how many names popped into my head! And I felt grateful that so many of these souls are people I call friend or family member. In the sermon, we were reminded that we usually become like those we hang around. I certainly hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment