Thursday, February 26, 2015

What's it Worth

Being without a paycheck makes this leave of absence seem different from my usual summers off. It forces me to look at the financial implications of....everything. When you retire, the paychecks end too! A friend of mine who recently retired found that healthcare costs were higher than she anticipated, which in turn led her to going back to work part time. So much for retirement...

While it is true that having more money alleviates financial stress and strain, shouldn't the overall goal in life be doing something that really floats your boat and uses your talents and gifts to the fullest degree? What I find is interesting is how now that I make "real" money (as opposed to minimum wage), my ego has convinced me that I am somehow "worth" more as well. And that if I don't have a job that pays a "worthy" amount, then I shouldn't consider doing it. But how many people become enslaved to a job simply because it pays well or offers benefits in retirement? I guess each person has different needs for security, however they define it. Some can live hand to mouth and be fine--either that's how they've always lived or they trust that God will provide. Others are in horror of such a lifestyle. Some feel a lack at not being able to buy the latest and greatest "thing". Others have simple needs and can get by with bare necessities.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I can live on a minimum amount (as my AmeriCorps days proved) but I also enjoy not having to worry about money (especially when it comes to unexpected expenses like repairs or medical stuff).  However, my free time and happiness level also matter greatly to me--I work to live, not live to work. My ideal job would be 30 hours a week, working with people I really enjoy (read have fun and laugh with), making a worthy minimum of $40,000 a year. Photography, travel, and/or writing a plus. Anyone hiring?

No comments:

Post a Comment