Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What's in a Word

According to the Oxford dictionary, the word "retire" has many meanings in addition to the one where you leave office or employment because of age. It also means "to withdraw, go away, retreat" or "go to bed". In baseball, it refers to ending a turn at bat. In cricket, it is the suspending of an inning. With a car, the literal definition would be putting new radials on the old girl. What it boils down to is taking a break to renew, refresh, and rejuvenate--sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. I thought of how this leave of absence has all of the positive aspects of retirement, but with the lingering knowledge that I am not "out of the game" for good yet.

One of the beaches I frequent around here is called Asilomar. Its literal meaning is "haven by the sea." Today I am going to a wonderful hot springs resort in Carmel Valley named "The Refuge". It seems this area has been tailor made to encourage rest and relaxation for this period of my life!

Wouldn't our society be healthier if ALL people could have multiple mini retirements built into their lives? Every four years, you get four months off with pay! You also get one month of vacation every year--period. Of course, people who work in the school system do get a regular breaks (but trust me, no one could stay sane if they didn't!), but what about all other people who yearn for and need a solid chunk of time to catch up, think, and just have some down time? I think the old "keeping the Sabbath holy" idea wasn't just religious--it was lifegiving and wise. Too bad it has become another day to run around like crazy....

I've heard many people are now calling it "re-fire" instead of retire. I like that idea. You are reinventing yourself, regaining your perspective, and renewing your general enthusiasm for living. That is most certainly what I've been doing the past two months! To think I still have five more months to keep exploring is a truly wonderful gift. The question is: will I ever want to go back to "business as usual" when it's all said and done? This peace and freedom is quite seductive!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment