Tuesday, February 3, 2015

There's No Place Like...

Home?

Today I was reading a really excellent book by Henri Nouwen, "The Inner Voice of Love". In it, one of his insights read " So stop wandering around. Instead, come home and trust that God will bring you what you need."

It resonated with me tremendously (and unfortunately described me more than I'd like to admit). However, the thought hit me--where IS home? Is it California? Colorado? Somewhere else entirely? Is home simply a metaphor for a life with God? I feel I have been split and pulled 'between worlds' for years now. I am envious of other people who have what I consider a "normal" life--lived in one location with occasional vacations to distant lands (or relatives!). Part of this leave was to try and settle into one location for good. According to Nouwen, "home is where you are truly safe. It is where you can receive what you desire... when you come home and stay home, you will find the love that will bring rest to your heart."

I agree with Nouwen--I need to just go home and "stop running and start trusting and receiving". But I am at a loss as to where that is. Is it where my things are? Is it where I've lived the longest? Is it where my husband lives? Is it where my kids live? Is it where my job is? Is it where I feel most peaceful? Why is it so hard to answer this question? If I were Dorothy in Oz, where would I be trying to return to?

1 comment:

  1. I think this question has a different answer for each person. For me I know home is not a location or a place or a building, it is a feeling that I share with loved ones around me. Case in point I never lived in Price Utah, but no place feels more like home to me.

    ReplyDelete