Thursday, February 12, 2015

Changing the World

I admit I'm an idealist-- I see the possibilities, I get excited about making a difference. Today I thought about the legacy I want to leave the world. For me, it isn't enough to just live and die. I want to make my mark, whether it is through the lives I touch with the kids at school or the volunteer work I do or saving the planet through sustainable practices. It's why I did my year with AmeriCorps. It's why I made my own kids choose volunteer projects to do as they grew up. It's why I am incorporating volunteer work during this leave of absence.

I remember in my high school graduation speech, I chose a quote that seemed to sum it up for me back then:
"That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much. Who gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of children. Who left the world better than he found it--whether through an improved poppy or a perfect poem. Who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had."

Some things don't change! Here is a current quote I also like and appreciate:

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing, you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment