Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Long and Winding Road

Well, I have two deadlines this Friday. I have to let the school district know if I will return to my position and I have to decide about trying to do a job share.

I think the job share isn't the best choice--at least not this year, even though working 24 hours a week for a decent wage would be ideal as far as I'm concerned. By trying to do a job share, I am locked into going back to my previous job (I'd like to have the option of going to a different position or school just for a change) and I don't even know if my principal would go for it. So, it appears that option is off the plate.

I went ahead and sent in my "Option to Return" letter, although I know that if I changed my mind later, I could still back out (it's just if I don't send it, they automatically terminate!). While I am loving my free time and the glorious lack of responsibilities right now, when I look down the road at real retirement, I convince myself that I should put in five more years with the district so I can qualify for a small pension. But at what cost--to my marriage, to my sanity, to my general quality of life? THAT is the question...Five years sounds like a blink, and in retrospect it always is. But five years in practice can be a long, long time and I will be five years older too.


1 comment:

  1. So, what did you decide? Option to return to Colorado at end of this sabbatical? Sorry, just too confused...as usual..

    ReplyDelete