Saturday, March 7, 2015

One is the Loneliest Number

I can fully understand now why men who retire pressure their wives into retiring soon afterward. Even if you have a fairly busy social life (like me, which unfortunately most men don't), there is SO much time alone to fill. And while I am an introvert by nature, even I am having a hard time with all the alone time. You find yourself talking to yourself. You find the tv or stereo on just for company.

I strongly believe that man (or woman) is not meant to be alone--at least not most of the time. It's too easy to fall into rumination and isolation. You forget that there is a great big alive world out there. You forget how to carry on a conversation beyond commenting on the weather. Man is a social animal. We get a lot of our creative juices and energy from other people. I think women have it easier in that they tend to be more social by nature but it's hard no matter who you are if you are "going it alone". It is a good reminder to start and keep up the social contacts I already have.

I still think living in a commune or collective would be the best solution! Maybe that's why they invented retirement homes!

No comments:

Post a Comment